What is...?Tips to enjoy Jizaké, including food matching lists.
- What is the meaning of the"rice polishing ratio" and how does it affect saké?
- What are the various categories of saké?
- What is meant by the S.M.V?
- What is acidity, and how does it affect saké?
- What are amino acids, and how do the various levels affect saké?
- What does % of alcohol mean, and how does this affect the saké?
- What is a Toji?
- What is the average shelf life of saké?
What does % of alcohol mean, and how does it affect the saké?
The toji, the top person in charge of the elaborate saké making process, has to carefully watch fermentation of the mash (Moromi). Even overnight watches are common because it is the fermentation process that brings taste and fragrance to the saké.
However, once saké is opened, it ought to be consumed within in 2-3 weeks. Opened bottles should always be kept refrigerated.